Do you love a good Rueben sandwich? I do!
Lucky for me Dan has been making these for family lunches and catch ups over the last few months and they have been so popular. I think it’s because he’s been making his own pastrami! Just in case you want to try it out here’s our recipe:
How to make Pastrami
1/2 cup vegetable Oil
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 kg (approx.) corned beef
1/4 cup fine cracked black pepper
2 tbsp smoked paprika
3 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix oil, garlic and mustard.
- Preheat oven to 110°C.
- Combine the peppers, paprika and coriander in a bowl.
- Lay a piece of foil on the bench, large enough to fully wrap around the beef.
- Brush the foil with half of the garlic mustard oil. Place the beef onto the foil and brush the remaing garlic mustard oil onto the beef.
- Coat all sides of the beef with the pepper mixture.
- With the fat side up, wrap the beef up in the foil.
- Flip over and place onto another piece of foil with fat side down. Wrap the piece in foil. Flip again and place onto a third piece of foil, this time with fat side up. Wrap again and place into an oven tray lined with baking paper with fat side up.
- Bake in oven for 6 hours at 110°C.
- With the pastrami still wrapped in foil, place in the fridge for 8 to 10 hours to cool.
- Slice the pastrami and place in fridge ready to make Reuben Sandwiches. It can also be used on antipasto platters
If you want to finish your Rueben sandwich with a delicious russian dressing, check out our recipe on Instagram